Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Fort Lauderdale Sunrise Wreck - Wreck date

Until recently we had always assumed that the earliest wreck date possible was 1839. This assumption was based upon the youngest coin found: An 1839 Isabel coin.

However, this has recently been revised due to the diligence of Matthew de Felice, County Archaeologist, Broward County Historical Commission.

In the summer of 2007, I invited Matt, and others, to my home for a showing of the artifacts from the Fort Lauderdale Sunrise Wreck. After Matt arrived, and had surveyed the displays that were spread about, I noticed that he was studying some of the coins, and sketching one carefully. Several of the coins had been struck on the obverse with an over-stamp. It was one of these over-stamps that he was sketching. I have never had a clue as to the meaning of it, until the next day when he messaged me.

Navigate to "Cuban over stamped Spanish reales" to view the coins that bear the over-stamp.

No comments: